Gas Fire Service

GAS FIRES FULLY SERVICED

FROM ONLY £49.99

In order for your gas fire to work safely and efficiently for years to come it is important to have it serviced on an annual basis.

So don't take chances with your safety.

 

What does a Gas Fire service involve?

  • Gas leak test

  • Chimney flue checked and smoked bombed

  • Gas fire Serviced

  • Coals or Radients cleaned and revamped

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning... What is it ?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. It can be given off by appliances that burn fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood or oil, if they're not working properly, if the flue is blocked in any way, or if the room is not properly ventilated.

 

Why is it so dangerous ?

Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and tasteless, which makes it difficult to detect. However its effects are deadly. On average, 50 people a year are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning due to faulty heating appliances.

 

What are the main causes of carbon monoxide poisoning ?

Most cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are due to inadequate ventilation or poor maintenance of appliances, blocked or leaky flues and chimneys. Chimneys can become blocked for various reasons. It could be as a result of birds nesting on the chimney, or possible degradation of the flue. A blocked flue can lead to carbon monoxide leaking into your home.

 

Who is most at risk ?

Some people mistakenly think that it is only gas fuelled heating systems which can cause carbon monoxide poisoning - in fact, it can happen with any fossil fuel system if the system, which included both the appliance and the flue, is faulty or the room is not properly ventilated. Also, some people associate carbon monoxide poisoning with rented accommodation - in fact, more people are killed in owner occupied rather than rented properties.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

A typical scenario is a living room with a solid fuel heater. The windows and doors have been draught proofed and the permanent ventilation has been blocked up (by the victim) to prevent draughts. The chimney and flue have not been swept for years. The victim may not have carried out the regular maintenance of their appliance, like cleaning the throat plate monthly, let alone had the appliance serviced professionally. There may be soot deposits at the appliance outlet, or bits of the flue lining may have broken away and tumbled down to the appliance outlet. The weather is cold and the fire is not drawing well, so the victim opens the fire door to get more heat. This compounds the problem. The victim becomes drowsy, falls asleep, and doesn't wake up again.

The danger signs

Carbon monoxide may be present if there are any of the following danger signs:

Gas flames that normally burn blue burn orange or yellow instead. Sooty stains appear on or just above appliances, regardless of the fuel being burnt.

Coal or wood fires burn slowly or go out. The fire is difficult to light. The room is not properly ventilated. The chimney or flue is blocked - watch out for smoke in the room.

You develop the following unexplained symptoms:

  • tiredness 

  • drowsiness 

  • headaches 

  • dizziness

  • chest pains 

  • nausea

 

Key Safety Messages & Facts

Carbon monoxide can result from burning all fossil fuels - not just gas fires and boilers.

It is important to ensure rooms are ventilated - never block vents. If double glazing or draught-proofing is fitted, make sure there is still enough air circulating for any heaters in the room.

Portable heaters do not need a flue, but they still need good ventilation.

Make sure that all chimneys and flues are regularly swept by a competent sweep and kept clear. This includes chimneys being used as flues for gas fires, but is particularly important for solid fuel appliances.

Boilers and heating systems and appliances should be installed, maintained and regularly serviced by a competent engineer (make sure they are CORGI-registered for gas appliances).

If you have recently moved, check when your boiler or heating appliances were last serviced.

Gas flames burning orange or yellow instead of blue may indicate the presence of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide detectors should comply with British Standard BS 7860 - but remember they are only warning devices. Never rely on them entirely and do not use them as a substitute for regular servicing. Never cook on a barbecue indoors - the charcoal gives off carbon monoxide. If you develop any of the following unexplained symptoms - drowsiness, headaches, chest pains, giddiness, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach pains - you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Switch off your appliances and see your doctor at once.

 

If you're a landlord, we offer a Gas Fire Service for Landlords and provide a gas safety certificate for your property.

Call 0161 945 6356 or click here book your appointment today.

Contact Us

Areas covered:

Bolton

Bury

Cheshire

Manchester

Oldham

Rochdale

Salford

Stockport

Tameside

Trafford

Wigan

Contact:

Telephone:

0161 945 6356

07979 106103

Email:

info@gggservices.co.uk

Social Media:

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram

Accreditation:

© 2020 GGG Services. Website created by LittleDevilDesign

  • Instagram